To obtain a marriage license both of you need to be present and be 18 years or older. Most county clerks offices are open from 8 AM to 4 PM, Monday to Friday.
- Both parties–male and female–must appear in person.
- Both parties must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must have a valid, government-issued picture identification. Names will be reflected on the marriage license exactly as they appear on the IDs. The County Clerk’s office cannot change the name or spelling of name on ID. Forms of acceptable, valid identification include:
- Driver’s license
- State ID
- Military ID
- Must know Social Security number.
- A blood test is NOT required.
A formal marriage license can be obtained from any county in Texas and the marriage can be performed anywhere in Texas.
Additional requirements and information:
- There is a 72-hour waiting period after the license is issued before the marriage ceremony can take place. The 72-hour waiting period can be waived by meeting one of three criteria.
- The waiting period does not apply if an applicant is a member of the armed forces. Military ID must be shown to the person who performs the marriage ceremony.
- The waiting period does not apply if the applicant obtains a 72-hour waiver signed by a District Judge. Waiver must be shown and kept by the person performing the ceremony. In some counties the judge will stamp and sign the marriage license, in this case the officiate will not be able to keep the waiver.
- Applicants possess a valid Twogether in Texas Certificate. Certificate must be shown to the person who performs the ceremony.
- The marriage must take place within 90 days from the date of issuance–no exceptions.
- If divorced in Texas, there is a 30-day waiting period after the divorce is final before remarriage–unless waived. If the 30-day waiting period is waived, a certified copy must be presented at the time the license is purchased.
- The fees vary, Tarrant is $71, Dallas is $81, cash, Visa, Mastercard, American Express or Discover. (Credit card use adds an additional 3% fee.)
- The fee is discounted $60.00 for couples who attend the State of Texas approved Marriage Education Class and present a valid Twogether in Texas Certificate. For more information visit the Twogether in Texas website or our Library Of Resources page.
$60 Discount off your Marriage License
Texas participates in a program called “Twogether in Texas.” Premarital courses that qualify for a $60 discount on the marriage license. The course consists of 8 hours of premarital counseling with a registered officiate, counselor, non-profit, church or anyone or organization that is registered and approved by Twogether In Texas.
After taking one of the two packages available and completing a questionnaire with me, the state of Texas will give you a $60 discount on your marriage license. You will prepare yourself in the comfort of your own home for the most important and biggest decision you will ever make in your life, getting married. Marriage 101 is faith based with common marriage and relational principles, it makes vital topics for conversation available online so you can take advantage of some of the best marriage preparation available today. Here is what you will be discussing: Marital Expectations, Communication, Personality Differences, Conflict Resolution, Spiritual Intimacy, Relating With Money 1 & 2 and Sexual Intimacy. Click on the logo for more details or call me 817 422-3901.
Andrews Wedding Ceremonies has two options: An online course from $99 and one on one counseling that vary based on the needs of the couple. See our Library Of Resources page or call for more information.
Online Application for Marriage License
Marriage license applications may be filled out and saved online. However, applicants must appear in person to sign and purchase the marriage license. Please note: additional information will be required of each applicant when the marriage license is issued. The process can be completed at the downtown location or at a Tarrant County sub-courthouse location.
Minors Obtaining a Marriage License
If an applicant is 16 years of age or older, but under 18 years of age, parental consent or a court order is required. Parents giving consent must be present with minor(s) when the marriage license is purchased.
- Parents must show government-issued picture identification.
- Minor(s) must show certified copy of birth certificate with current school ID, driver’s license or state ID.
- If parents of minor are currently married, one parent is required to be present to sign the parental consent form.
- If parents of minor are divorced, a certified copy of the divorce decree must be presented by the parent that has Managing Conservatorship (custody) of the minor. Joint Managing Conservatorship requires both parents be present unless stated otherwise in the divorce decree.
Where to Purchase a Marriage License in Tarrant County
724 East Border
Arlington, Texas 76010
Online: Tarrant County Marriage License
|Dallas County Records Building
509 Main Street, Suite 200
Dallas, Texas 75202
(8:00am-4:00pm, Monday through Friday)
|East Dallas Government Center
3443 St. Francis Ave
Dallas, Texas 75228
214-321-3182 or 214-819-7509(Call for office hours)
|North Dallas Government Center
10056 Marsh Lane, Suite 137
Dallas, Texas 75229
214-904-3030 (Call for office hours)
|South Dallas Office Government Center
7201 S. Polk
Dallas, Texas 75232
972-228-0280 (Call for office hours)
1411 W. Belt Line Road
Richardson, Texas 75080
214-904-3042 Mon-Fri 8:00am – 11:00am and 1:00pm – 3:00pm
841 W. Irving Blvd.
214-589-7000 (Call for office hours)
410 S. Beckley Ave
Dallas, Texas 75203
214-943-5981 (Call for office hours)
107 Texas Street
Lancaster, Texas 75146
|Grand Prairie Office
106 West Church Street, Suite 205 St
Grand Prairie, Texas 75050
|Tarrant County Courthouse
100 W. Weatherford Street
Fort Worth, Texas 76196
817-884-1195 or 817-884-1064
|Tarrant Southwest Sub-Courthouse
6551 Granbury Road
Fort Worth, Texas 76133
|Parker Count Courthouse
1112 Santa Fe Drive
Weatherford, Texas 76086
|Denton County Court House
401 West Hickory
|Tarrant Northeast Sub-Courthouse
6456 Grapevine Highway
Hurst, Texas 76054